Diploma Supplement (in English) is given automatically and free of charge to every student upon graduation.
The Diploma Supplement (DS) is a complementary document, which is attached to a higher education diploma and provides a standardized description of the nature, context, content, level and status of the studies completed by its holder. This document aims to improve international transparency and also facilitate the academic and professional recognition of qualifications (diplomas, degrees, certificates etc.). The DS is produced by national institutions according to a template that has been developed by a Joint European Commission - Council of Europe - UNESCO working party. This document is an important part of the European Credit Transfer System (ECTS) and it does not only help the definition of the phases of the graduates' education understood by different education systems, but also gives detailed information about the degrees, levels, and vocational competencies of the graduate. The DS is composed of eight sections, which are namely: information identifying the holder of the qualification, information identifying the qualification, information on the level of the qualification, information on the contents and results gained, information on the function of the qualification, additional information, certification of the Supplement, information on the national higher education system. All these sections should be provided by the DS and if not, an explanation should be given. A description of the national higher education system within, which the individual named on the original qualification graduated has to be attached to the DS. This description that provided by the National Academic Recognition Information Centers (NARICs) is available on the website: www.enic-naric.net
The Diploma Supplement is being issued in a widely spoken European language (English), given automatically and free of charge to every student upon graduation by Yaşar University.
What the diploma supplement is not?
- It is not a Curriculum Vitae.
- It is not a substitute for the original qualification or a transcript.
- It is not an automatic system that guarantees recognition.
What does the diploma supplement offer to students?
- A diploma that is more readable and easily comparable abroad.
- A precise description of their academic career and the competencies acquired during the study period.
- Objective description of their achievements and competencies.
- An easier access to opportunities of work or further studies abroad.
- It fosters their employability.
What does the diploma supplement offer to higher education institutions?
- It facilitates academic and professional recognition, thus increasing the transparency of qualifications.
- It protects national/institutional autonomy, while offering a common frame which is accepted all over Europe.
- It promotes informed judgments about qualifications that can be understood in another educational context.
- It raises the visibility of the institution abroad.
- It promotes the employability of their graduates at national and international level.
- It helps saving time, since it provides the answers to a lot of recurrent questions put to administrative services in institutions about the content and portability of diplomas.
>Why is the diploma supplement needed?
- New qualifications proliferate worldwide and countries are constantly changing their qualification systems and educational structures under the impact of rapid economic, political and technological change. An increasing number of mobile citizens are seeking the fair recognition of their qualifications. The non-recognition and poor-evaluation of qualifications is now a global problem. Since original credentials alone do not provide sufficient information, it is very difficult to gauge the level and function of a qualification without detailed appropriate explanation.